a large vehicle that leads, serves, or carries other smaller vehicles. The concept of a mother ship also occurs in science fiction, extending the idea to spaceships that serve as the equivalent of flagships among a fleet.
Around here we lovingly call Christians for Biblical Equality “the mothership”.
That’s because CBE is the leading advocate for evangelical egalitarianism around the world, having promoted the cause since 1987. CBE serves the egalitarian community by educating (online bookstore and catalog of articles, Priscilla Papers peer-reviewed journal, Mutuality Magazine, curriculum resources), equipping (conferences, speaking and training, networking with like-minded organizations, sponsoring local member chapters), and encouraging (CBE Scroll blog, Arise newsletter).
It would be difficult to overstate how important CBE has been in advancing women’s equality in the church. Here are some classic CBE stories:
- In the April 1990 issue of Christianity Today, CBE published the statement Men, Women and Biblical Equality signed by more than 200 evangelicals; now available in more than 30 languages.
- Fifteen minutes after the bookstore opened at the CBE conference in 1997, vendors sold out of the New International Version, Inclusive Language Edition Bible (NIVI), unavailable for retail sale in North America.
- CBE sent an African pastor who was studying women’s ordination some books at his request. His master’s thesis persuaded his two-million-member denomination, the Kenya Pentecostal Assemblies of God, to ordain women for the first time in its history.
- In October 2015 Campbellsville University rejected ties with the Southern Baptist Convention (which advocates for gender hierarchy) and joined CBE; even initiating an annual CBE lecture series. What inspired such change? Two CU faculty members who volunteered in CBE’s office one summer.
Why are we telling you all this?
Because today, November 12th, is “Give to the Max Day” and CBE has set a goal of raising $100,000. If you are serious about advancing women’s equality in the church, please consider clicking on the image below and making a contribution to this flagship organization. A donor has committed matching funds up to $53,000+, so even the smallest gift will make a difference! (GTTM is a charitable giving campaign sponsored by the state of Minnesota).
And while you’re at it, you might as well join CBE and start receiving Mutuality and Priscilla Papers!
Latest posts by Gail Wallace (see all)
- Did Jesus Really Spend Most of His Time with Just 12 Men? - March 28, 2018
- BEST OF 2017: OUR TOP TEN POSTS - January 2, 2018
- The Women Who Stood Near the Cross - April 14, 2017